Gettin' Down and Dirty...

When my neighbor Mrs. Daisy, also known as Mrs. Green Thumb, asked me to come out and help plant flowers I was absolutely thrilled. I had visions of digging in the dirt and getting close to my planet, but those visions were dashed by skinned knees, dirty palms, and a ruined pair of jean shorts. The flowers, however, looked very pretty after they had been planted. I guess pretty flowers makes up for ruined shorts and mosquito bites.

So, it all started off well enough. I got up early this morning and was waiting for Mrs. Daisy to call and let me know she was ready. She's up in years so I wasn't going to rush her. Besides, I wasn't exactly sure what I was getting in to. I had only planted a few flowers and veggies with my gran when I was little and I didn't remember it quite well.

When I finally did get the call I was in the middle of looking for cheap Cedar Point tickets (anyone got any?) so it took me a little longer than it should for me to get outside. Once I did, after about twenty minutes of searching, I realized I wouldn't be gardening alone. My god brother, who usually helps Mrs. D with her yard, was outside pulling weeds and talking with Mrs. D.

T, who works on our yard too, was quick to make jokes about me being outside to actually do some yard work. Before I knew it I was digging spaced out holes down along our fence. See, Mrs. D was giving me flowers to plant along the front of our fence and the side where our fence met her yard. It's a drive way actually, but there's a nice little strip of turned over dirt there thanks to T.

I was digging, watering, planting, covering and seriously sweating. I honestly didn't realize that T wasn't joking when he said he was sweating up a storm last time he weeded our yard.It was so hot, and I was so hot, that I sat down to work instead of standing or kneeling (which was hard to do any way because the concrete was digging into my knees), but little did I know that spraying a hose while sitting on the side walk was bound to get you a little wet. When I finally got up from the ground my shorts were soaked in water and I had dirt covering my bottom. Honestly, it looked horrid.

Once all the flowers were planted, which took me a good two hours, I came back in the cool confines of my home, stripped off my clothes and tossed them in the wash. I went upstairs, got in the shower, crawled in bed and drifted off.

In the morning I'll go down and check the flowers, but i think maybe that'll be all I do for the day...I'm so sore!



1 Comment:

  1. Whodoyouthink said...
    long hot bath and SLEEP!

Post a Comment